Donnerstag, 17. September 2015

Review: The Wrath and the Dawn by Rene Ahdieh

“Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky.” 


Content:

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Cover:

This cover is my most favorite cover of all time. It beautifully designed, and it really captivates the whole feeling of a fairytale. Honestly, I wouldn’t know how to make this cover any better.

My opinion:

This book was amazing. Breathtaking. Perfect. I do not have words. But let’s start from the beginning. I will structure my review into three parts now: Writing, Plot and Characters. So let’s start off with the first one.
Writing:
The writing was absolutely beautiful, and very poetic. It honestly felt like I was reading a fairytale, and not a YA book, because the writing was so amazing. There were a lot of Arabian words, which were explained in the Glossary on the back. A lot of people felt disturbed by that, but these words didn't disturb me at all. In fact I was rather pleased to learn new words in that language.
Plot:
The second I heared what this book was about I knew that I was going to love it. I love all things related to the fairytales of 1001 nights, and I knew that I was going to adore this retelling, BUT I would have never thought that I would love this book as much as I did. The main plot was probably the romance between Khalid and Shazi. A lot of people complained that it was Insta-love between them, but I do not think so; Insta-affection maybe, but not love. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a slow-burning romance, but the way their relationship develops is at a perfect speed in my opinion. I ship them all the way. There was another aspect of this book, and that was the fantasy/magic aspect. I was rather confused by these parts, and I felt like it was only briefly mentioned, as the romance was in the main focus. I hope that we see more of this magic in the next book. The ending however was just so heartbreaking. How could the author do this to me? I need the second book right now!
Characters:
The characters were amazing, and all so authentic. Especially Khalid, who was my favorite; his character is just so interesting and complex. I loved how we discovered that he is not the monster everyone thought he was, and that he in fact has a dark secret. I just love such characters. But also Shazi was really great. I wish I was as eloquent as she is. I think she even is one of my favorite female characters ever. But also the side-characters were great. Jalal brought some funny moments into the story, and Despina’s friendship with Shazi was just great. I even felt like Tariq played an important role in the book, and I am interested to see how things will develop.

Conclusion:

This is definitely my favorite book of 2015 so far; A beautiful tale with great writing, awesome characters and an amazing story. I cannot, and I repeat, CANNOT wait for the next book! Please give it to me!

Rating:

5 | 5 stars
 - - - -

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen