Freitag, 24. Juli 2015

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

“In the fairy tales, the poor girl smiles when she becomes a princess. Right now, I don't know if I'll ever smile again.”
 

Synopsis:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Cover:

The cover of the English version looks amazing. I love the crown and the red on it, which probably symbolizes Mare herself as a Red. I love it.

My opinion:

I have mixed feelings about this book.
On one hand I really had a good time while reading it, and I also read it pretty fast, which is always a good sign, but on the other hand I have a lot of problems with it. The writing-style was very fluent and easy to read. Although it took me a few pages to get into the book I overall really enjoyed it. Furthermore, there were a lot of really great quotes. Also the action-scenes were written very nicely, I loved that.

But now let’s start with the problems I have with this books.
Problem #1: I didn't connect to any of the characters; in fact, I didn't even like them as much as I would've wanted to. While reading the last chapter I kind of didn't even care if this one person is going to die. The one who came close was Shade, but he appeared in like 2 pages. I really hope that we get to see more of him in the second part.
Problem #2: I was kind of confused with the world-building. I hope that Victoria gets more into depth with the world and the royalty system in the second book, because I felt like it was kind of cut short in this one.
Problem #3: It was nothing new. It reminded me of every YA book ever. There was the rebellion part of The Hunger Games, the fighting kind of reminded me of Divergent, the royalty seemed like the one in the Grisha trilogy, the powers reminded me of Shatter Me or the X-Men, because they all were pretty similar. But especially Mare’s power reminded of Helen’s power in the Starcrossed trilogy. The choosing of the queens was very similar to The Selection, etc. Throughout the whole book I just felt like I’ve seen this already.
Problem #4: The betrayal didn't surprise me at all. I knew that something was wrong with that person, because it’s like that in every YA book, right? Otherwise it would've been too perfect. So, the plot-twist wasn't a plot-twist for me.
I am very torn about this book, and I honestly don’t know how to rate it. I enjoyed it overall, and I won’t let the problems I had destroy it. I am looking forward to the next book in the series!

Conclusion:

I did enjoy the story, and although I had problems with the book it overall was really good.

Rating:

3.5 | 5 stars
----

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen