Samstag, 16. April 2016

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (re-read)



“Declarations of love amuse me. Especially when unrequited.”

“Where there is love, there is often also hate. They can exist side by side.”

 



Synopsis


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

My Opinion

*Spoilers ahead for the TMI and TID books*

I read this book almost four years ago for the first time, and since then a lot has happened in the series, and in general the whole Shadowhunter world. My original rating was 3 stars for this book, just because I felt that some aspects were missing. Re-reading it now, after reading all the books that are currently out, it definitely was a 5 star read for me. Let me give you a list of things/scenes I absolutely loved:

"Alec, is that you?"
This quote made me fangirl so hard, just right at the start of the book. Not because its such an amazing quote, but because we know this quote from someone else: When Tessa meets Jem for the first time, and he is playing his violin in his room, he asks "Will, is that you?" This quote just gave me so many feels all at once: the Jalec feels, the Heronstairs feels, just all of them.

Church
I feel so bad for saying this, but for a short amount of time, I forgot that church existed. (OMG, I know, what even) Seeing him now in CoB, the cute little fluff-ball he is, just made me smile and made my heart grow with love for him. I love cats, but this cat ESPECIALLY will always have a place in my heart.

Clary punching Jace, just because she can
I am not entirely sure if this happened in the movie or the TV-show, but I missed that scene so much. Yes, most of the time I feel like that Clary is slightly annoying and not self-confident enough, but that scene shows that she can also act differently, which I love. Also: sometimes Jace just deserves a punch in the face, doesn't he? OMG

"Nobody wants soup."
That might sound completely stupid, but Isabelle's terrible cooking skills kind of made me feel like home. This small detail kind of goes on until the last book, and it really made me feel like I am there with the characters again. Such a small detail, but really important for me.

"This place is for the living."
Ohhhh oh oh oh do I see some foreshadowing there? This quote is from the dream Clary has, where they are in Idris and she is dancing with Jace (abt page 160) When I first read the book I didn't understand what Cassie meant by that, but OH BOY, now I do. And it was just such a fantastic hint towards the upcomming events.

MALEC action
Right when Magnus asked if Alec would call him any time soon, I died a little inside. Call him? Oh oh, we want more than just calling. And OH BOY more will follow. After knowing what's going to happen I just really look forward to see how their relationship is developing from the start. My ultimate OTP and I cannot wait. (Hamilton reference)

RAPHAEL
Reading this book the first time I didn't really like Raphael that much, but since I know his story now and the END to his story, I fangirled so hard just seeing him. He is so cute and he doesn't deserve what happened. Also: since I watched all the episodes in the TV-show I must say, they take my Raphael to a whole new level, let me tell you guys.

Simon x Jace scenes
I am not going to lie, I kind of, sort of ship these two. Simon and his quirky, nerdy comments, and Jace with his sarcasm, they would be perfect together. And there are some scenes in this book with these two which really made me happy. I am excited to see some more Jimon (?) action in the next books.

Jace only loving himself
I love this quote so much. And yet, when Jace said that I was just like "Ohhh honey, if only you knew". This was my favorite quote in the movie and in the book probably too. This quote just shows Jace's character so well, and I love it.

Luke as the BEST DAD EVER
Because I was so into the show for the past months, and also into show Luke, I forgot what an amazing, perfect, lovely character Luke was in the books. His flanel shirts, his book store, how he cares about Jocelyn and Clary, he is just so lovely, and honestly, the best dad award definitely goes to him. Not one other specific person *cough*

Alec trying to be funny
I totally forgot about the great scene in the Epilog with Clary and Alec. He makes a joke (???) and is so nice to Clary, I just loved it! It really surprised me, and it was the best ending to the book I could've imagined. Alec is so smol, I love him.


Conclusion


If you can't tell by this list, I LOVED the book the second time around much more than reading it the first time. If you have read the series a long time ago I HIGHLY suggest that you re-read it. Reading it a second time is a totally different experience, and it definitely is the most rewarding thing ever. Onto City of Ashes!

Rating

5/5

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen