Sonntag, 8. März 2015

Review: The Spook’s Apprentice by Joseph Delaney

“Well, you’re safe until you make another silly mistake,’ the Spook added. ‘And don’t say you won’t. He who never makes a mistake never makes anything. It’s part of learning the job.” 

Content:

Capturing witches Binding boggarts Driving away ghosts For years, Old Gregory has been the Spook for the county, ridding the local villages of evil. Now his time is coming to an end. But who will take over for him? Twenty-nine apprentices have tried-some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive. Only Thomas Ward is left. He's the last hope; the last apprentice. Can Thomas succeed? Will he learn the difference between a benign witch and a malevolent one? Does the Spook's warning against girls with pointy shoes include Alice? And what will happen if Thomas accidentally frees Mother Malkin, the most evil witch in the county ... ?

Cover:

I absolutely love the cover of this version. It’s scary, and it shows Thomas, the main protagonist of the books. I think it represents the book perfectly.

My opinion:

I read this book two times already, so this was a re-read for me. In a few days I will go to the cinema to watch the movie, so I had to prepare for it. And is there a better way to prepare for a book to movie adaptation than reading the book again? – I don’t think so.
This book is the first book in the Wardstone Chronicles, my most favorite series of all times. And this re-read showed me, why I love this series so much.
I absolutely love Joseph Delaney’s writing. He describes things so well, and he never misses a chance to give you Goosebumps. Another thing that I really enjoyed about this book were the characters. I honestly love almost every single one of them, the good ones and the evil ones. Even the villains were described perfectly. The character-development that Thomas goes through in this one book is incredible. At first, he is just a young boy, unsure what he wants in life. He doesn’t dare to do anything by himself, or make own decisions. But during this book he develops so much. At the end, he is a strong apprentice of the Spook, who knows what his determination is. But the most amazing thing about this book was the plot. It was exciting and action-packed from the first to the last page.

Conclusion:

Once more it was an incredible journey with Thomas and the Spook. I will definitely re-read the series soon! Definitely worth a read for everyone who likes high fantasy and horror.

Rating:

5|5 stars
----

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen